Restore your tooth's function and appearance with our high-quality dental fillings. Andrew Thomas Dental Care is committed to providing durable, aesthetically pleasing fillings that blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
What are fillings?
Fillings are dental restorations used to repair teeth that have been damaged by decay or cavities. They are typically made of materials such as composite resin, amalgam, or porcelain. Fillings help to restore the tooth's structure, function, and appearance, preventing further decay and discomfort. At Andrew Thomas Dental Care in Cardiff, we offer reliable and high-quality fillings that are designed to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, ensuring both durability and aesthetics.
There are several types of dental fillings available, each with its own advantages and considerations. Composite resin fillings are a popular choice as they can be colour-matched to your natural teeth, providing a seamless blend. Porcelain fillings offer excellent aesthetics and are stain-resistant. Our experienced team at Andrew Thomas Dental Care will help you choose the most suitable filling material based on your specific needs and preferences.
What is the procedure for receiving fillings?
The procedure for receiving fillings typically involves the following steps:
- Numbing: Your dentist will administer a local anesthetic to ensure that you are comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Tooth preparation: The decayed or damaged portion of your tooth will be removed using dental instruments. The tooth will be thoroughly cleaned and prepared for the filling.
- Filling placement: The chosen filling material, whether it's composite resin, amalgam, or porcelain, will be carefully placed in the prepared tooth. Your dentist will shape and polish the filling to enable a natural and comfortable fit.
- Bite adjustment: Your dentist will check your bite and make any necessary adjustments so that your teeth come together properly.
- Final touches: Once the filling is in place and the bite is adjusted, your dentist will polish the filling to match the natural shine of your teeth.
The entire procedure is typically quick and comfortable, and you will be able to resume your normal activities shortly after. At Andrew Thomas Dental Care, we prioritize your comfort and satisfaction, providing reliable and aesthetically pleasing fillings to restore your tooth's health and function.
Frequently asked questions
We've compiled a list of common questions about this treatment. If you have any other queries, please get in touch.
- How long do dental fillings last?
The lifespan of dental fillings can vary depending on several factors, including the type of filling material used and how well they are cared for. On average, composite resin fillings can last around 5 to 7 years, while porcelain fillings tend to have a longer lifespan, often lasting 10 years or more. It's important to maintain good oral hygiene practices and visit your dentist regularly for check-ups to support the longevity of your fillings.
- Are dental fillings painful?
During the filling procedure, your dentist will administer a local anaesthetic to numb the area, ensuring that you feel little to no discomfort. However, it is common to experience some sensitivity or mild discomfort after the procedure, which should subside within a few days. If you experience persistent pain or discomfort, it is important to contact your dentist.
- Can I eat normally after getting dental fillings?
After receiving dental fillings, it is generally safe to resume your normal eating habits once the numbness wears off. However, it's important to avoid chewing on hard or sticky foods immediately after the procedure, as this can potentially damage the filling. Your dentist may provide specific instructions on what to avoid and how to care for your fillings to support their longevity and your oral health.